Annerley History Walks

The Annerley-Stephens History Group provides group history walks in Annerley and surrounding suburbs.

The program for each walk lasts around 60 minutes and includes the opportunity to visit houses, other buildings, landmarks or natural places of local historical significance and also have time for group discussion.

For Junction Fest 2023, there are two walks being offered:

Lothian Street. It began its existence as Jane Street in June 1887 in the Collins Estate subdivision of portion 106 of Yeerongpilly and since that time has been inhabited by a wide range of characters, including journalist and author Hugh Lunn and Francis W Dalton who hosted coming-of-age parties, military send-offs for the Great War and fundraisers for returned soldiers. This walk also highlights social history, noting how homes adjusted to changes in the ways people lived and worked from the early 1900s to the 1980s.

Fanny Street. Fanny Street and the gully preserved in the newly restored parkland here was traditional land of the Yerongpan clan for thousands of year. May traces of the flora and fauna from those early days can still be discerned here. Fanny Street appears in The Hastings Estate subdivision from the mid-1860s. The first War Service Home built in Queensland in 1919 was at 40 Fanny Street and the first electric street lighting in the Stephens Shire was switched on at the top of Fanny Street in 1920.

The schedule for the walks is as follows:

10.30    Lothian Street

11.30    Fanny Street

12.30    Lothian Street

1.30      Fanny Street

Black and White image of Annerley in the past with a tram on the street.
Skip to content